helps for parents
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I keep my child safe while online?
How can I help my child be successful in school?
What are some ways to deal with test anxiety?
How can I motivate my student?
Parent's Guide To The Teen Brain
Sponsored by the Partnership for a Drug Free America
Fight The New Drug
Education for parents about the harmful effects of pornograpy
Bullying Affects All Middle School Kids, A Family Guide
Dealing With Bullying
- 1. HELP ME TO FOCUS – Please teach me through my sense of touch. I need “hands on” and body movement.
2. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT COMES NEXT – Please give me a structured environment where there is a dependable routine.
3. WAIT FOR ME, I’M STILL THINKING – Please allow me to go at my own pace. If I am rushed, I get confused and upset.
4. I’M STUCK, I CAN’T DO IT! – Please offer me options for problem solving. If the road is blocked, I need to know the detours.
5. IS IT RIGHT? I NEED TO KNOW NOW – Please give me rich and immediate feedback on how I am doing.
6. I DIDN’T FORGET, I DIDN’T HEAR IT IN THE FIRST PLACE! – Please give me directions one step at a time, and ask me to say back what I think you said.
7. I DIDN’T KNOW I WASN’T IN MY SEAT! – Please remind me to stop, think, and act.
8. AM I ALMOST DONE? – Please give me short work periods with short term goals.
9. WHAT? – Please don’t say “I already told you that.” Tell me again, in different words. Give me a signal. Draw me a symbol.
10. I KNOW IT’S ALL WRONG, ISN’T IT? – Please give me praise for partial success. Reward me for self-improvement, not just for perfection.
11. BUT WHY DO I ALWAYS GET YELLED AT? – Please catch me doing something right and praise me for the specific positive behavior. Remind me about my good points when I am having a bad day.
(Ideas taken from the Davis School District Bill of Rights for Children with ADD/HD)
National Suicide Prevention ww.suicidepreventionlifeline.org 1-800-273-TALK (8255) 24hours/7 days per week
National Hopeline Network www.hopeline.com
National Suicide Hotlines http://suicidehotlines.com/
National Suicide Prevention http://www.sprc.org/
EATING DISORDERS: http://utaheatingdisorder.com/
Utah Domestic Violence Coalition http://udvc.org/
Utah Department of Health http://www.health.utah.gov/vipp/dating%20violence/overview.htm
Anger Management (ages 13-17 years) 1-801-718-8307
Mothers Against Drunk Driving (M.A.D.D.) 1-800-641-6233 (Utah)
Narcotics Anonymous (NA) 1-801-296-4044
Drug Rehabilitation https://www.drugrehab.com/
Quit Smoking http://www.tobaccofreeutah.org/quitline.html
- TEEN PREGNANCY
Teen Pregnancy prevention http://www.health.utah.gov/mihp/Adolescent_health/Adolescent_health.htm
Planned Parenthood http://www.plannedparenthood.org/utah/pregnancy-resources-30236.htm
Internet Safety - TeensHealth
FTC.gov: Internet Safety
- TEEN PREGNANCY